[Story line Recap+Opinion] 旋风少女 Whirlwind Girl Ep. 4

The last episode for this week!😀 I added my opinion about the drama so far at the end of the post.

Hu Bingqing as Wei BaiCao (BC)

Yang Yang as Ruo Bai (RB)

Wu Lei as Hu Yi Feng (YF)

Chen Xiang as Feng Ting Hao (FTH)

Bai Jing Ting as Yu Chu Yuan (YCY)

Zhao Yuan Nuan as Feng Ting Yi (FTY)

Vincent Jiao as Qu Xiao Nan (QXN)

Episode 4

First, we have BaiCao’s teacher QXN in the hospital. Poor him. BaiCao cooks and prepares a meal to bring to him, but falls asleep. Yang Yang’s character sees that and take care of her while putting the soup she prepared in a contenant for her.

a b

However, when she arrives the hospital, her teacher is gone and left a message saying she has to go study Taekwondo with the other school because the teacher there is better while he is useless. He also says that since she and his daughter had grown (well) he has not much to do here and hence decided to leave. He tells her to keep in mind her dream and he will definitely come back to cheer on her when she will represent China during the International competition. Our girl hence decides to work hard. She joins the YY’s school and does not have to recognize his teacher as hers since in her life she will only have one teacher (such a sweet deal).

c d e

During practice, RB says there will be a taekwondo internal competition where 2 boys and 1 girl will be chosen to represent them at the next big competition. Although each year, the people chosen are always the same (RB, YF and the sister of that guy who nearly got kicked out for hitting BaiCao). So, the fact that a new competitor like BaiCao who also wants to participate create turnoil between the teammates. BaiCao works really hard with her partner WL who compliments her for being so hard working. RB actually see through her and says her weakness and her strength are both her force (she is counting too much on that).

Meanwhile, at school, the Fang siblings are getting a lot of attention. They are kind of like the royal siblings of their taekwondo world as both of them won a lot of competitions internationnally. The guy was shown in the first episode winning against a Korean while the girl is learning Taekwondo now in Korea. The girl is also a childhood friend with Yu Chu Yuan, as foreshadowed in the picture of the first episode. BaiCao sees them together and feels sad.

During the day of the competition, she first competes with her best friend and wins. The competition goes smoothly and RB and LY are chosen to represent the male section. As for the girls, the battle is between BC and that other girl. During the competion, BC shows that she is indead still lacking. The episode ends with a suspense as we don’t know who wins (although in the preview BC is seen yelling/complaining why she did not get the position even if she won the game).

Some fast thoughts so far:

The Teacher/Student relationship: WTF! Why on the hell would the teacher not teach her during all these years? I mean, sure he cheated before and he became sad. But he does love his student and his daughter, so why let them waste their talents instead of helping them achieve better results? As for BaiCao, why would that girl do the cleaning and the food for free at any places she lives at? She is there as a guest, not as a maid!

Also, why the hell whould BC believe that her teacher is in the right when the whole planet seems to have proof that he was in the wrong? I am sure there is a back story to him, but gosh, right now, she just sounds like a stupid dumb girl who does not understand how to evaluate situations. I mean she can be the one screaming out loud that cheating is wrong, but then she is also the one to stand by her teacher all the time even if he cheated at worst occastion, just because you know, she believes in him. I know there are years of bonding between them and so it is normal for her to stay faithful (I guess), but still: it is frustrating to see this type of character.

However, I do admire her for her efforts to become better in taekwondo and her capacity to do hard work. And it is also interesting to see her start new friendships successfully. I do understand that her hard work, poor girl image and desire to succeed must be very attractive to all the guys who have it all. But, we better have some character development soon, because so far, I am not connecting with her character. Especially since she has a doll to which she talks to all the time (she has to grow as a person and fast!).

6 thoughts on “[Story line Recap+Opinion] 旋风少女 Whirlwind Girl Ep. 4

1. L says:

Do you know when the first episode came out?
    How many episodes are in a week?
    Do you know how many episodes this drama will be?
    You seem to be the only blog that I’ve found to give news about this drama regularly…

I can’t wait to see the first interraction between the female lead (BC?) and the third guy (don’t remember his name, the one who has a sister and look like a rich guy XD)
    I hope BC will stop to be this innocent girl… I hope she’ll turn out to be a strong, confident woman…

The first episode came out on Tuesday 7th of July (you can find more drama release dates here)
      There will be 4 episodes per week so two on Tuesday and two on Wednesday. There will be a total of 28 episodes if I remember correctly.
      Really? I thought a lot of people would be interested in this drama with great casting. I hope I am doing a good job at recapping then since I am just starting to do it like this.
      Me too! I am curious on how he will first get interested in BC although from the trailer, he seems like a very cheesy kind of character. I am sure BC will become stronger headed and learn to face others. After all, she just lacks the battle and interacting experience.

2. Jo says:

Nice recap! I totally agree with your thoughts on the main character — although I admire how she remains so faithful to her master, at the same time, she comes across as very blind and stubborn because of it. But the good thing is she has lots of room to grow.

(I do think her little vegetable doll is very cute, though. I’m such a sucker for cute plushies. T_T)

Gotta admit, though, this drama’s selling point is definitely the male cast… I wouldn’t be interested if it weren’t for Chen Xiang and Yang Yang. Not to mention Vincent Jiao (!!), whom I’ve had a crush on for more than a decade now lololol. I almost thought they killed off his character in episode 3 — thank goodness it was just a hospital visit!

Anyway, hope you continue your recaps, even though they must be a lot of work! It doesn’t seem like a lot of people are discussing this drama, probably due to lack of English subs, so it’s cool to have a place to talk about it.🙂

Thanks! I am happy you are sharing my thoughts too ^^
      Her vegetable doll is cute! and it is a great way to make her feel better considering her lack of friends. But, it is just that it makes her so much less relatable for because… I sadly stopped doing that a long time ago xD I love cute stuff though (e.g. I am addicted to minions right now)
      xD yes! OMG, the male cast is like dreamy *_* Vincent Jiao got so much older in this drama, my feels! I watched him in Lotus Lantern Prequel and he was gorgeous as Er Lang Shen. I am sure his character will come back in the plot very soon and that he will do some badass taekwondo moves too. Chen Xiang and Yang Yang are so cool in this drama, but right now, I am all for Wu Lei’s character! so funny
      Thanks! I hope I will be able to keep going with the recaps too!

• Jo says:

omg I’m addicted to Minions too — I’m actually going to watch the new movie tonight (and I usually don’t watch movies in theaters haha).

Yes, Vincent Jiao looks way older now! But still quite handsome for his age. I never got around to finishing the Lotus Lantern prequel, but I’m thinking of going back to it after Whirlwind Girl finishes airing. He really was gorgeous as Er Lang Shen.

Hehe. I am going next week (hopefully!)
        Lotus Lantern Prequel was really good (definitely better than the first one; Lotus Lantern). He is still really handsome and I am sure he still got all his kung fu moves to show off! I think he is my favorite actor for ELS (which is my favorite Chinese god)