[New Drama] Once Promised with Victoria Song and Huang Xiaoming

OMG. This is some huge casting news for Valentine’s Day! O_O I thought I misread at first, but wow.  Adapted from the novel with the same name by Tong Hua, the drama is called Once Promised  曾许诺 Ceng Xu Nuo and will have leads Huang Xiaoming and Victoria Song.

They released the Official Poster on Valentine’s Day and nearly gave me a heart attack by confirming the cast of the OTP. Huang Xiaoming is at the top of his profession and easily considered an A-list actor. He never forgot his roots by acting in dramas (such as last year’s Cruel Romance), but he is obviously more of a movie actor now. As for Victoria Song, she is the leader of the kpop girl group f(x). Well loved in China after her successful on-screen pairing on We Got Married Korean Edition, she starred in many Chinese dramas including the recently aired Beautiful Secret and the currently filming Ice Fantasy. Visually, it is going to be a real treat! Huang Xiaming is a good actor, but he is also very well known for his amazing proportions 8D I can sense sparkles between them already!

Tong Hua is the author who wrote BubuJingxin, Da Mao Yao, Yun Zhong Ge, Perfect Couple and Destinated to Love You. She is currently working on Stay With Me that stars Chen Qiao En and Wang Kai. Her list of accomplishment basically guarantees a great story! This story from her pen is about the love stories of three god families.

Story:

In short, it is a period drama about the complicated conflicts between many god families. The drama will focus on a very specific passionate couple who has a lot of sadomasochism and obsession moments (WHAT? O_O please tell me google translate just messed up…). The story will have a very mythological and fairy like tone.

A couple promised to meet each year at the beginning of Spring (in April) under the Blossoming Peach Tree. However, this promise was never kept, even after years and years. Why make a promise you cannot fulfill? This creates a lot of misunderstanding and emotional entanglements. Although perfect together, they can’t stop themselves from hurting each other. This man and this woman are oblivious about their love.

Note:

My summary is based from the short information I found on the article announcing the drama. If you want a better understanding of the story, Shusheng Bar to the rescue! They compiled all the useful information as well as how to read and get the audiobook version. If you want the complete summary, clic here to go to the blog The Second Spring.

Cast:

Victoria Song as Xi Linghang: She is a gifted girl with talents in medicine, gentle and tender, with a pure understanding of love.

Huang Xiaoming as Chi You: Wise, Brave, a War God. He is a god of war, wise and courageous, optimist in his live and persevering in his love.

It is definitely going to be a high budget drama as it is already said they will be using Previzion(visual camera) [no idea what that means…]. They will need to use a lot of CGI though as they are aiming for a xianxia like vibes. A lot of characters will be casted soon. It is going to be produced by the same team (Hatton media, Shanghai Culture Communication Co., Ltd) as Three Worlds and You Are My Sunshine, dramas edition. Exciting! It should be out for 2017.

[Baidu pages: Novel/Drama]

25 thoughts on “[New Drama] Once Promised with Victoria Song and Huang Xiaoming

1. I got so hyped when news came up! Once promised is amazing novel (anyway Lost You Forever I love more) and adaptation must be sophisticated or it will be waste of such a good material. I don’t know how to explain my excitement because main leads are so great. I was imagine A Heng played by Victoria while reading the novel. She will match the character perfectly I believe. Huang Xiaoming as Chi You I have nothing add *thumbs up*

!!! This news was so shocking to me!! By reading the synopsis, I feel like it has a lot of similitude with Three World. Considering the hottest drama for 2016 are Three World, Ice Fantasy, and Zhu Xian, I can definitely see a trend going on in China :P… So happy to know you think Victoria feats the character!

• Maybe it have similar things with Three World but they are a view in my opinion. I don’t know why but I was always imagine Aheng as Victoria, plus she was not bad in Beautiful Secret. I think she will pull that character. I’m highly anticipate this drama, hope it will succeed.

2. Omg my heart skipped a beat when I saw this but I must say I am very disappointed with the cast x_x😦 the poster looks good though. Shall not keep my anticipation high but definitely will watch it!

3. I knew this new project would be produced by the same team as 3 Worlds, looking at the poster. Given the cast, I won’t expect much in terms of acting…but I’ll probably check this out anyway.

4. unforgetableme says:

I was hoping they’d do a drama for this novel!!! Sadly, I can’t say I’m satisfied with the casting, though… But I’ll still check it out since I do like the novel.

The novel seems popular and the casting is definitely a strong one… I have my reserves about this project but it probably won’t disappoint (too much) ^^

5. Super excited for this drama! I actually like Huang Xiaoming’s as a male lead. His character are often very one dimensional, but at least he does a good dominating, heroic and attractive character well. So far, the only dramas I saw of Victoria has too much aegyo for my own taste. Based on Ice Fantasy stills, I think she can do a good job with this (although IF still didn’t release a teaser that shows her acting skills to help me judge fairly). To be frank, I would have loved it if they casted Ady An. :3

Yes, Ady An!! She should come back to the small screen, her acting is amazing and so lovable! I am surprised Victoria took on this project, I was hoping she would star in more movies in 2016. HXM is an excellent actor and his projects are always so well chosen (American Dream in China, The Last Tycoon) and Victoria has ground to work on, so good luck to both of them ^^

6. HJ says:

I was literally in shock when I saw this news. In the past few weeks, Vic had sooooo many casting rumours for different movies and dramas. It seems they like to use her name to hype their work (understandable since she’s very hot topic ) but her real project always seems to come out of nowhere lmao

I know some people may be dissatisfied with casting and whatnot but tbh I think whoever is casted, it’s not gonna be up to par for different groups of people. And I know people complain about Vic getting good offers,,,but it’s obvious production companies clearly like her. And these are strictly business…they want profits…they’re not running some charity here.

Anyways with big IP/ famous original work like this, with experienced top costar, and excellent production company, I think this will be a blast. And this is a huge step forward for Vic too.
    TongHua in her recent interview talked highly of this new drama and she said it will start mid-year? I know HXM is busy with his other movie still. Vic actually has another rumor for different movie…so I am wondering if she’ll do that one too🙂

The news really came out of no where last night, and I was quite shocked too!
      When you say mid-year, do you mean filming or airing? Because if it was airing, then it is indeed very fast!! :OO This book is extremely popular online, and considering it is written by Tong Hua, I am expecting a lot of good things ^^ Hehe, I am still waiting for a drama where Vic can use her amazing flexibility and dance moves… Hope she does well!~~

I sadly agree with some of these rumours. I love Victoria so much, but I don’t like how the Chinese entertainment world is only casting actors depending on their fame. I am sure Victoria fits the character in Once Promised, but the c-dramaland should start giving chances to new actors that are less recognized ><.

• HJ says:

Start production mid year. so filming. I think HXM still has to film that movie with Andy Lau (Wong Jing film i think…) so I am just purely guessing this drama will start filming around May-June maybe?? There’s a movie casting rumour for Vic that’s been going around awhile and I am hoping this one is true too so she can film this before that drama…
        In that same interview, TongHua actually said that this drama will surpass BBJX. Well, I think she was half sugarcoating to hype up the drama but it’s true I’ve heard so many good things about this novel. I am just hoping they adapt it well and also hope Vic will do well.

Speaking of all these “rumors” lmaoooo there’s possibility of seeing Vic at Fashion Week this year in Europe. Fashionmodels weibo included Vic’s name in the list of celebs that will be invited to go to Fashion Week.

Oh, yeah, it makes more sense this way. What is that other project Victoria may be involved in?

aha, I doubt this drama can surpass BBJX, such a classic drama with a golden cast, but it is great to know she is speaking so highly of this project >< This gives me hope!! Omg, I starred following FashionModels last week! That weibo account is amazing! ^^ Hope Victoria get to go

7. vickyfa says:

I hope vic’s acting can improve, cnet and inet will attack her again😦
    I think vic get movie project, because she met movie director few months ago

Doing well song qian, qian army and MeU always support you🙂

8. Alt says:

I am starting to like how Vic is doing everything right and balanced. She has her acting jobs going up steadily in China, and she has f(x) activities in Korea. I still question her choice to stay with f(x)/SM for a couple more of years (I think she will renew her contract with SM/f(x)) because it seems there is nothing she will gain from Korea now. But she seems to have certain emotional bond with her members so that’s ok.
    On the hand, reading this news I can have one fine laugh just thinking about those delulu drama-addicted “12 year old” Jans on avirtualvoyage lol If it was a fair and constructive criticism about Vic, then fine, I can understand and accept it. But when you confuse constructive criticism with personal insults and illogical bashing, it’s becomes stupid and delusional. Only 12 year olds would say something like this:
    “Why is she so popular?” (maybe because she can?);
    “She is ugly, why she is so popular?” (yeah yeah that’s why you are not a CEO of entertainment agency, honey lmao);
    “I hate her because I just want to hate, it’s my right to hate and dislike” (lol yes but then you forgot about the right to defend, Jan);
    “I fucking hate her, I just don’t like how she acts like a good person” (lol wut?)
    etc. Thank god, I am mature enough to realize numbers and stats are only things that matter, everything else is just speculations and subjective nonsense hehe
    Oh and I like your site/blog because it is not a place of BLIND and IMMATURE hatred I see on other blogs lol

Haha! I guess I am happy I didn’t read the comment on avirtualvoyage. Sadly, Victoria did not gain enough respect for her acting in China and the general public does not know what she has achieved in Korea. Victoria’s career spans for more than eight years and all the things she accomplished show she deserve all the fame and the attention she is getting. Sure, she is not the best actress out there and I can understand why some people are mad she got paired with HXM, but she totally deserves her fame and fans! And if her popularity brings her high projects, then good for her!!
      And thanks for our blog :”D I also bash actors occasionally ^^” Love you too

9. HJ says:

How come I can’t reply on your reply lol
    Anyways,,, before gossip weibo said either Vic or Zheng Shuang is rumored as female lead for GuFang something drama. well it’s Angelababy doing it….so that’s why I can’t really trust these “rumours” lmaoooooo But anyway that movie rumour…it’s supposed to be with Deng Chao and Vic actually met up with the director last summer (paparazzi took the pics)…I’m just hoping it’s true but better not to get my hopes up too high😦

That fashionmodels weibo wrote on comments that Vic go see Dior… well Paris Fashion Week is in March so we won’t know until then if it’s true or not.

Haha, wordpress has bad editing… I am 100% satistifed with the theme we have now so I may change that… If I have the time ^^
      Oh, that would be really interesting to see Deng Chao act in a movie with Victoria, I wonder what kind of project it can be…. DC always get affiliated with high budget movies ^^ But since it was last summer, maybe they cancelled it :x… and for the Fashion Week, I will keep my eyes open since I often go on their account now ^^

• HJ says:

This movie rumour went around late Jan. It’s another novel adapted movie. Zhang JiaJia’s ‘Passing From Your World’ The director is Zhang YiBai whom people noticed that he met up with Vic last summer. So that’s why people think it’s quite credible…

For the fashionweek, I saw Sina photographer’s weibo that he replied a fan that Vic going to Paris.

10. Lucy says:

HXM on the small screen always makes me happy he is quite talented and great on the eyes. Hoping Victoria will hone up her acting stills she isn’t bad but not totally great either but she is getting a lot of love and casting rumors. Usually I find Tangren does Tong Hua stories the best but looking forward to seeing this adaptation

Approve with you, Tangren always do a good job with dramas like Bubujingxin and Sound of the Desert. However, I doubt they can successfully cast big names like HXM and Victoria… :”D Hope this project is good, especially since Tong Hua sounds excited ^^